Snoopy's Updates

Erika's four-year ongoing battle with non-Hodgkin's and Hodgkin's Lymphoma after an autologous BMT and non-myeloblative allogeneic BMT.

Sunday, January 28, 2007

Harder to Breathe

This morning when I saw Erika she looked like she had a harder time breathing. The level of her oxygen settings for the past couple of days have been hanging out around a 4 and today they were upwards of 6, the scale being from 0 to 15. I think she was having a little more anxiety than before which was causing her to breathe shorter and faster. The doctors upped her pain medication levels to help compensate for the extra anxiety, but as a result she was a more sleepy than normal. She slept most of the day today. Tonight she has improved a little and has not been using the pain medicine as much and her breathing settings have moved back down to around a 5. Hopefully she will be able to rest a little tonight.

Last night I had the night off and it was the first time I have slept in my bed in a long time. I think I got about 12 hours of sleep and it was a nice needed recharge. I missed seeing the doctors come around again today, but from what my parents told me they seemed to be really nice and comforting.

A couple of days ago we had learned that the lung biopsy, which was taken over a week ago, has some evidence of shingles, which means that she has shingles inside her lungs. That’s somewhat troubling news because it lessens the chance that the doctors are willing to give Erika her next round of chemo, which is scheduled for tomorrow. I'm not sure how they determine if it is still in her lungs or not at this point, possibly it might show up in a blood test but I haven't had the chance yet to speak with the doctors. The shingles that are visible on her skin have crusted over, which means they are not active which is a good sign. I guess we will just have to wait and see what the doctors want to do about chemo tomorrow. Hopefully she will be able to continue with it.

5 Comments:

  • At 10:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    well sweetie, I am praying that Ericka, will be able to have her chemo tratment tomorrow.AND I am glad you got to sleep last nightl IF you ever want another night, I am available to sit with her, I have done it for several years with My nephew andrew. So don't hesitate to call me. I love you ~M arilyn

     
  • At 5:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Chris, thank you so much for your daily updates. Erika, how are you doing today? "Day by day, in every way I am getting better and better, never...never...never...never...never...never give up." This is a quote from my favorite book called "The Twelfth Angel." Whenever I have a hard time in my life, I always recall this short phrase. I thought I just wanted to share with you since this insprired me so much. Good night Erika and Chris, Love Miho

     
  • At 7:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Chris, thank you so much for keeping us updated on Erika's condition. I was on a business trip all last week and unable to check the blog. The word from Jennifer just before I left was not encouraging. Erika, it is so encouraging to see your flighting spirit. I think about you both every day and know that you have the will and determination to fight your way through this. I will say a prayer that everything goes well today and you are able to continue your chemo treatment.

    jan coulman

     
  • At 11:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hello Erika and Chris! I check this blog daily hoping to see a new update. It's become part of my daily routine. I know I seem so far away, but trust me, I'm keeping track of what's happening in Cali. I love you both dearly and pray every day for things to improve. Words cannot even begin to convey how much I care about you both. I'm so sorry life is difficult BUT you are both so incredibly strong and inspire so many people. You are a huge inspiration to me. I am very grateful to have you as friends. I look forward to continued updates of improvement and perhaps, when you get home and settled, I can fly out for a visit. I'd really like that. Maybe we can even buy a cookie bouquet and eat it together :) I MISS YOU!!!!!

     
  • At 7:20 PM, Blogger erica hou said…

    Chris,
    Thanks so much for the updates!!
    Erika,
    I'm so proud of you for fighting so hard! I love ya girl and I thinking about you all the time!
    Erica

     

Post a Comment

<< Home