Snoopy's Updates

Erika's four-year ongoing battle with non-Hodgkin's and Hodgkin's Lymphoma after an autologous BMT and non-myeloblative allogeneic BMT.

Friday, January 12, 2007

My Own Room!

I’m finally in my own room, yupee! The nurse in charge came by around 8pm tonight to say they had a single room for me and I would be moving in a few minutes. After much help getting everything moved, I’m now in a much better situation. Chris has already set up his cot for staying the night. Right away I can tell I’m going to be sleeping much better knowing he will be here.

Believe it or not, I still don’t have a new Hickman. It turns out that the patient advocate did some research and the surgeon that I requested is out on a conference until Monday. He will be back Monday and will be doing some procedures, but they aren’t sure they can get me on that day’s schedule. I’ve been told it would happen Tuesday by the latest. The oncology team is upset with me making the decision to wait until this surgeon is back, but I honestly don’t trust anyone else considering what has happened before. His resident even told us that she looked back at the notes of my last Hickman insertion and said she’s very concerned that they might not be able to get one in since they had such a hard time before. She even mentioned other options, such as having it inserted in my neck, groin, or having a pick-line; all of which I disagreed to. She’s also trying to convince me to get a port instead of a Hickman, which again I’m not very fond of.

Once the Hickman is in they plan to start me back on IV antibiotics/anti-fungals right away. The oral medications I’m on now impact my platelets, which is what’s keeping me from getting chemo. I’m also kind of looking forward to receiving all the necessary drugs IV, since the oral ones are making me throw up and feel really sick to my stomach.

I wanted to thank everyone for their ongoing support. I've received numerous emails, e-cards, and comments on my blog that are very inspiring. Please know that if it takes me a little while to get back to you, it's because of the overwhelming amount of e-mail I've been receiving.

6 Comments:

  • At 12:05 PM, Blogger Randy said…

    sweet!! It's about time!

    -Randy

     
  • At 10:00 PM, Blogger Susan said…

    Erica
    The hikers from Marin are sending you their best prayers, kharma, meditation thoughts, and good breathing - to get you better!
    Susan

     
  • At 8:59 AM, Blogger Adrienne said…

    Erika is unable to update her blog. Please go to Adrienne's blog for an update: http://adrienne95070.blogspot.com/

     
  • At 1:33 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Dear Erika:
    I have known you since my first year as part of the run team in Team In Training. Your story of determination and persevierence was and still is very inspiring. I have been part of TNT for 6 straight seasons.

    My thoughts and prayers are with you and Chris. Continue to stay positive.

    Finally I leave you with an inspirational quote that I always remember when any negative thought enters my mind.

    "When you get into a tight place and everything goes against you until it seems that you cannot hold on for a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn." ~ Harriet Beecher Stowe

    -Shahram

     
  • At 1:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Erika,

    I am thinking about you and am hoping for the best! Hang in there!

    Laura Griffith
    HFD Honoree Captain

     
  • At 5:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dear Erika,
    MY thoughts are with you, you are an amazing inspiration and I wish you the best. I am looking forward to meet you at a TNT event when you come out on the other side.
    Take care
    Soren

     

Post a Comment

<< Home