Snoopy's Updates

Erika's four-year ongoing battle with non-Hodgkin's and Hodgkin's Lymphoma after an autologous BMT and non-myeloblative allogeneic BMT.

Thursday, January 04, 2007

Goodbye Hickman

After two years of fighting to keep in my Hickman it looks as though it will finally be taken out tomorrow. The infectious disease doctors as well as my oncologist agree that it's time. I couldn't really say "no" anymore due to the risk that it could be potentially causing all the problems that they haven't been able to resolve. I've had three positive cultures in a row and even though they're giving me antibiotics to keep the possible infection under control, it's only temporary and can easily return once they take me off. Dr. Spain, the surgeon that put both of my Hickman's in initially and who I met with a few months ago regarding removing it, will be doing the procedure. It will be a few days before they will be able to put in a new one. Meanwhile, we have worked out a deal that I will be taking all medication orally so that I don't have to have a peripheral IV put in. I think after seeing how bad my wrists are from the last time they attempted an IV they're willing to compromise. It will be very difficult to part with my Hickman as I've had it for 2 1/2 years and it's very much a part of me.

I have also been getting quite a bit of lasix today to try and get some of the fluids out. I've managed to have a lot out of output, but my body is still very much out of proportion. The right side is especially swollen, which they believe might have something to do with the Hickman. They also think that my heart complications could be related since the Hickman is going straight into one of the main ventricles.

An ophthalmologist did see me today and she said my eyes were okay. She dilated them and looked both outside and inside. She recommended that I go see my optometrist to get new glasses since the ones I have are pretty old. Guess I'll have to be blind as a bat until I get out of here and can go see him.

Nothing yet on when I might have the lung biopsy. I think we're taking one step at a time and hopefully I'll know more in regards to that tomorrow. So far no results have come back yet from the last bronchoscope (not a surprise).

No luck on finding me a single room either, so it will be another sleepless night without Chris.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home