Snoopy's Updates

Erika's four-year ongoing battle with non-Hodgkin's and Hodgkin's Lymphoma after an autologous BMT and non-myeloblative allogeneic BMT.

Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Erika's Treatment Update -- Week 49

Yesterday I received my 3rd Velban treatment...finally! My white count was finally back to normal and the final skin biopsy report confirmed GVHD so my oncologist gave the okay to continue with treatment. Besides meeting with my oncologist and nurse practitioner, I was also seen by my BMT doctor. As soon as he saw me he agreed that I have acute GVHD on my skin and in my mouth. Usually this far out of transplant it's uncommon to get GVHD of any nature, but it's especially uncommon to get acute rather than chronic. Acute is most often seen within the first 100 days after transplant. Right now my treatment for the GVHD consists of 60mg of prednisone a day. Depending on my response to prednisone, I may or may not have to start on immunosuppressants. I'm supposed to call my BMT doctor on Friday with an update on how I'm doing and he will determine what to do then.

Fortunately, the prednisone has alleviated most of the itching on my skin, however my mouth is what is really bothering me now. I have blister like lesions on the sides of my tongue, the top of my tongue is white, sores on the insides of my cheeks, and my throat hurts when I swallow. Last night I was able to get down some pieces of chicken & rice, however starting today I will have to be on a liquid diet because it's too painful to eat anything with substance. I noticed that even drinking water this morning has been causing some discomfort. My doctor did prescribe some steroid and lidocaine mouthwashes to soothe some of the pain.

Now that we are once again having some beautiful weather, I've been instructed to stay out of the sun under all circumstances which I'm definitely a little bummed about. My friend from Japan went home on Sunday after a two week visit so I'm feeling a little lonely. It was nice to have some company around during the day...we had a great time chatting, cooking, shopping, and watching Sex & the City re-runs. This coming Saturday we will be going up to Sonoma State for my sister's graduation, which I'm looking forward to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home