Snoopy's Updates

Erika's four-year ongoing battle with non-Hodgkin's and Hodgkin's Lymphoma after an autologous BMT and non-myeloblative allogeneic BMT.

Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Update from Stanford 2

I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas. We celebrated the best we could (considering the circumstances) from my hospital room. There were a lot of families doing dinner banquets and gift exchanges out in the atrium by the big tree. I did get to see Pebbles and Francesca for a few minutes both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day so I was happy about that.

Last week I had been told that I would most likely have another bronchoscope either today or tomorrow. The pulmonary doctor came this morning and said they wanted to wait a few more days. They want to make sure that my lungs are as clear as possible so they don’t run into the same problem when they go back in. Right now the procedure is scheduled for Thursday afternoon. In the meantime, I will continue with the respiration therapy every six hours.

My oncologist was going to talk to the pulmonary and infectious disease team about doing everything (antibiotics and respiratory therapy) at home so I could be released, although I can’t imagine that they would release me a day early just to come right back. My guess is they will let me go on Thursday after the procedure. As far as chemo goes, she said she would like to try weekly Taxol treatments instead of going back to Methotrexate. She doesn’t want to take the chance of trying Methotrexate again without knowing exactly what all the activity in my lungs is related to (infection, pneumonia, or disease). We may go back to Methotrexate after this has all been cleared up and if the next CT shows that there was no progression, but for now she feels safer trying Taxol. The Taxol is about a one-hour outpatient treatment so at least I won’t have to deal with being in the hospital. I have received one treatment of this chemo before and the main side effect was extreme bone pain. I remember not being able to move from my bed for about 24-48 hours.

I think I’m actually more upset about being here today rather than yesterday. The day after Christmas is my favorite day to hit all the big sales. It’s too bad I can’t escape to Stanford mall for a little while :P

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home