Snoopy's Updates

Erika's four-year ongoing battle with non-Hodgkin's and Hodgkin's Lymphoma after an autologous BMT and non-myeloblative allogeneic BMT.

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Still No Results

I had two appointments today, first with a periodontist, then with my oncologist. The periodontist appointment seemed like a waste of time and money. I had scheduled to go in, because I have some very recessed gums that are causing me some pain. I wanted to have them looked at and possibly have them treated before they get worse. The doctor told me that my case was a "no brainer" and that I would need to have some "grafts" done. This is definitely not what I wanted to hear. Fortunately, due to my chemo treatment I'm not able to have these procedures done. There is too much risk for infection and bleeding. I guess I'll just have to put up with the pain when I brush my teeth.

I was feeling very tired for my oncologist appointment and I was running a fever so I actually fell asleep on the exam table until my NP and doctor came in to see me. I had prepared myself as much as possible for bad news. Instead, I received no news about my lung biopsy. It turns out that nothing has grown from the specimen that was taken and pathology has not been able to determine a diagnosis. My doctor explained to me that it could take weeks for fungus to grow and that could be one reason for having no results. Meanwhile, my chemo treatment has been put on hold until we have further news. I will be seeing one of the infectious disease doctor's on Friday and then will follow up again with my oncologist next Wednesday.

Because I have a pretty bad cough, they think I may also have some type of viral infection going on. To rule out anything serious, I'll be having an echo of my heart in the coming week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home