Snoopy's Updates

Erika's four-year ongoing battle with non-Hodgkin's and Hodgkin's Lymphoma after an autologous BMT and non-myeloblative allogeneic BMT.

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

A Night In the ER

After not hearing back from my oncologist or NP all day yesterday, I finally decided to make a call to the "on-call" oncology doctor around 7pm. I explained my symptoms to her and she said she would call me back with what I needed to do. By 8:30pm I hadn't heard from her, so I called back and she said I needed to go to the ER so they could run some tests to eliminate the possibility of me having a clot in my lungs (due the chest pain I had been having since the weekend).

We were at the ER by 9pm and didn't leave until 6am this morning. Throughout the nine hours that Chris and I were there they did an EKG, chest x-ray, some blood work, and an angio-CT. Everything came back normal except for the preliminary CT showed some new small nodes in my lung since the last one. It wasn't made clear to me if they were referring to the CT that I had done last Monday or the previous one done in June. They finally released me and said to follow up with my oncologist since there was nothing they could do - a complete waste of time!

We ran home to take a shower and then we were back at Stanford for my 9am appointment with the infectious disease doctor. He went over my CT from last Monday and the preliminary results of the one taken last night. Because they're unsure of what the new area in my lung could be, he decided it was best that I have a lung biopsy done ASAP. To move things along quicker it was decided that I be admitted.

So after close to 24 hours of no sleep, I was headed to the main hospital for admission. At first they put me in a double room, but thankfully this afternoon they moved me to a single room. There's still no scheduled time for my lung biopsy, but we're hoping it will be tomorrow. Because my platelets are running low from chemo, I will need a platelet tranfussion before they can do the procedure. Meanwhile, I may be starting on some IV anti-fungal's to possibly prevent this from worsening if it is indeed a fungal infection. The doctor estimates I will be here at Stanford for 3-5 days.

As usual I have my laptop with me so I can do some work and update my blog.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home