Snoopy's Updates

Erika's four-year ongoing battle with non-Hodgkin's and Hodgkin's Lymphoma after an autologous BMT and non-myeloblative allogeneic BMT.

Friday, September 01, 2006

Back Home With No Results

After what seemed like an eternal wait, I finally had my biopsy done yesterday afternoon. Prior to that however, I had an unexpected mini-procedure done on my toe. It turns out that I also had an infected in-grown toe nail which they had to remove. Fortunately, that was very minor and prepared me for the bigger procedure coming up in the day.

I got wheeled into the Intravenous CT room around 4pm where they gave me a transfusion of platelet's, prepared me for the procedure, and went ahead with it. I had three lovely nurses who were beyond great (one of them was there for my liver biopsy) and I had no problem talking them into sedating me. I received a cocktail of versed and fentanyl, which I tolerated very well. I do remember the whole procedure and talking through it with the doctors. At one point, I think I may have even wanted to participate because the nurse came rushing to me and had my arm velcroed down. I clearly remember my eyes going from the needle in front of me, to the table where the specimens were being taken to, to the computer with the picture of the area they were biopsing.

I had been told earlier in the day by the Oncology team of doctors that they would most likely have some preliminary results of the biopsy by Friday morning. They also started hinting to me that they felt that this was more likely going to be tumor rather than infection. Throughout the night I lay in bed preparing myself for the bad news, it's never easy.

Friday morning anytime someone walked by or knocked on the door I practically jumped out of my skin. The Oncology team finally came by after 9am and said there were no preliminary results back and that I would be discharged and would need to follow up with my oncologist and infectious disease doctor next week. So for now I'm back at home with fevers, a few more holes, and an appointment that I'm definitely not looking forward to.

2 Comments:

  • At 1:05 AM, Blogger Randy said…

    damn doctors. well pick up the latest issue of Entertainment Weekly to get your mind off the results.

     
  • At 4:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thinking of you.

    Adrienne

     

Post a Comment

<< Home