Snoopy's Updates

Erika's four-year ongoing battle with non-Hodgkin's and Hodgkin's Lymphoma after an autologous BMT and non-myeloblative allogeneic BMT.

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

High fevers, low platelets

The fevers have been continuing since my last post. After seeing the infectious disease doctor I thought things were improving, but I'm back to feeling miserable again. The last week I've had fevers every single day (regardless of whether I take prednisone or not). I usually have to take Tylenol every 4-6 hours to keep them controlled and so that I can tolerate being at work. Today I felt so miserable that I wasn't able to go into the office and had to work from home.

I did see my oncologist today for my monthly visit. She was concerned about the fevers so she ordered another set of blood cultures, which I had done this afternoon along with my Zometa infusion. They wanted to also give me some fluids through IV since my blood pressure was very low (77/54), but I refused and said I would drink a lot instead. I hate getting any type of fluids through IV because they make me feel really puffy and bloated for a few days. I also won't be able to do my two weeks of chemo since my platelets were very low. I will have to take a two week break and let them recover. She did mention once again that she was impressed with my last CT and the response that my tumor had to the radiation. The brain/head CT that I had done also came back normal.

The plan for now is to go back in a week to get my blood checked and to see the infectious disease doctor once again. I just wish the fevers would go away as they're really starting to impact my quality of life.

2 Comments:

  • At 9:41 AM, Blogger Adrienne said…

    Hi Erika,

    Checking in from Spain. We have good Internet access from this hotel in Sevilla.

    Hope you feel better soon. I'll call when we get back next week.

    Love, Alison

     
  • At 11:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Erika, I've been thinking about you a lot lately. So sorry to hear that the fevers have been so constant. I finished my first FULL marathon on June 17th in Alaska and thought about you as I walked. Hang in there! We will be praying for you, Martha

     

Post a Comment

<< Home