Snoopy's Updates

Erika's four-year ongoing battle with non-Hodgkin's and Hodgkin's Lymphoma after an autologous BMT and non-myeloblative allogeneic BMT.

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Handling New Chemo Well

I started my first dose of Procarbazine last Wednesday evening. I take two pills right before going to bed every night. The first couple of days I took Zofran (an anti-nausea medication) with it just in case, but gradually I stopped taking it and now I'm fine without it. I'm pretty lucky to be one of the few that hasn't experienced the vomiting/nausea sometimes associated with the chemo. I have also been doing pretty well on the low-Tyramine diet. I've eliminated all the high-Tyramine foods such as aged cheese, aged meats, etc., but have continued to have coffee, tea, and chocolate in moderation. Again I'm very lucky to not have had a reaction to these foods, especially chocolate! The weeks that I'm off the Procarbazine I get to resume to my normal diet :)

Last night I went in to get my counts checked and today I met again with my oncologist and nurse practitioner. My counts all looked great so I will be on the new chemo for two weeks, then one week break, then back on for two weeks. This schedule will continue as long as my counts stay stable. I will have another chest x-ray in approximately 3 weeks before I see my doctor again to see how I'm responding and I'm scheduled to meet with radiation next Tuesday to see if there's any possiblity of me getting some more.

Work continues to be very busy for me. I think I will continue to be busy since hiring is at high volume for us right now. I really enjoy my job a lot though, so I have no problem working the long hours.

This past Sunday, Chris and his stepdad worked some more on the house. They covered up the big hole we had in our living room with new sub-flooring. I can't wait to start painting and putting in the new floor. This past weekend we also bought a new clothes dryer (something we've needed for a long time now). Our next big purchase will hopefully be a new gas stove. I can't wait for the day that I can cook with a gas stove instead of electric.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home