Snoopy's Updates

Erika's four-year ongoing battle with non-Hodgkin's and Hodgkin's Lymphoma after an autologous BMT and non-myeloblative allogeneic BMT.

Friday, April 28, 2006

First Radiation Treatment

I went in today for what I thought would be a "test run," but instead ended up getting my first radiation treatment. The IMRT treatment is very different from the two treatments I've had in the past. The setting up takes a lot longer and involves taking many pictures before delivering the actual radiation. Bascially I get placed on a mold of my upper body so that I can't move and they get the exact positioning (to the millimeter) everytime. I have to stay still without moving for about 30 minutes. It's a little difficult because my arms have to be crossed above my head and believe it or not after 30 minutes it can get quite uncomfortable. Once they're ready to shoot me with the treatment, an arm like machine rotates around my body and delivers radiation from six different angles. Each time the field being radiated changes to match exactly the tumor (or try to eliminate areas outside of the tumor). It's quite impressive and remarkable.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home