Snoopy's Updates

Erika's four-year ongoing battle with non-Hodgkin's and Hodgkin's Lymphoma after an autologous BMT and non-myeloblative allogeneic BMT.

Friday, April 28, 2006

All Marked Up

Yesterday morning I had an appointment with radiology-oncology to have some x-rays done. Basically it was to see if the IMRT treatment that they put together matched the area that they want to target with radiation. My radiation doctor was satisfied with the results and he's ready to move forward. I also got all marked up with a sharpie pen, so I have the usual black cross marks on my chest and sides. I made the mistake of wearing a low shirt yesterday so when I went back to work in the afternoon I got quite the funny looks. I'm not sure what people thought of my black ink marks. This morning I will go back for a "dry run" and Monday I will start my treatment.

I will be receiving 14 days worth of treatment over the next three weeks. I was told that there are 7 different fields that they need to target and it takes about 5 minutes to set up for each field (the radiation itself is seconds long), so it's expected that each day will take about 30-45 minutes. I'm scheduled to go in at 4pm everyday, so I'll be going in to work extra early and leaving at 3:30pm and then working again from home in the evenings (not that I don't do that already). My boss was more than understanding and accommodating so I'm relieved about that. In fact, everyone at work has been beyond supportive of the whole situation. Again, I'm very fortunate to have ended up working with such a great group of people.

Yesterday afternoon I ended up getting a call back from UCSF. They wanted to have me come in for a consultation next Tuesday. I asked if the doctor wanted to see me regarding another possible treatment option, because I didn't want to waste my time going there, especially when I'm scheduled start treatment at Stanford on Monday. I was told that they couldn't offer anything better, he basically just wanted to go over the risks. I decided that it wasn't in my best interest to go up there considering that I've pretty much made my decision on moving forward with treatment.

This weekend will again be a busy one. We're getting our new stove delivered on Saturday and will be installing it on Sunday. The next step in the house remodeling will probably be re-doing some of the sheet rock. After that, probably removing old wallpaper, taking the cottage cheese off the ceilings, and painting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home