Snoopy's Updates

Erika's four-year ongoing battle with non-Hodgkin's and Hodgkin's Lymphoma after an autologous BMT and non-myeloblative allogeneic BMT.

Monday, October 18, 2004

Erika's Treatment Update -- Week 18

Hi everyone.

My apologies for the long delay between updates. A lot has happened in the last two weeks and unfortunately it's not good news. In fact, what I have learned in the past few weeks has been very difficult to cope with and to share with others...

I actually have not had another bone marrow biopsy as many of you anticipated, which is why I haven't posted any results in regards to my donor's chimerism. The day that I was supposed to have my bone marrow biopsy done, I learned that a CT scan that I had done the previous week showed that my tumor had grown again significantly and had also spread to my lungs. This means that the transplant is not working. Although I have plenty of donor cells (more than the doctor's expected), they're just not fighting my disease fast enough or possibly at all. In fact, my disease is so advanced that it would be unlikely that they could fight before the disease would take over. As you can imagine the news was devastating. My BMT doctor said there was nothing else that could be done except taking me off all immunosuppresants in hopes that it would activate the donor cells even more, however the chances of this working are very unlikely and the chances of getting Graft vs Host Disease which could impact my quality of life are high. By Tuesday I will be completely off all immunosuppresants. I have also met with a lymphoma oncologist expert at Stanford (which I'm now under the care of) and together we have decided to procede with more chemo. I started my first treatment last Wednesday of two drugs that I've never had before. One is used for lymphoma, however the other is used for breast & lung cancer and is very experimental in lymphoma. The hope is to keep my disease from spreading as rapidly to give me some more time and if we could get any kind of shrinkage it would be great. We are also looking into some other options, such as clinical trials, however we first have to get the disease under control so that I can be eligible for such trials. The chemo is also being used to relieve some of my symptoms such as the daily fevers. In terms of the side effects, I tolerated the first dose pretty well the first few days, however over the weekend I experienced extreme bone pain, which made me unable to get out of bed. Today, I'm doing much better and from what I understand the side effects lessen as you get more doses. I will be going back in this Wednesday for a second dose of one of the drugs and next week they will do a chest x-ray to see how I'm responding.

Chris' work has been more than understanding and cooperative and are letting him take as much time as he needs off from work and letting him work from home so he's able to be with me the majority of the time. We're just taking one day at a time and trying to cope as best as possible. At the moment, I'm really not up for visitors or meeting people, I hope you understand. I still look forward to receiving emails however and although slow, I have been responding, so please feel free to email me if you would like.

Due to the events of the last few weeks, I'm sorry to say that Chris and I won't be able to attend the Nike marathon this coming weekend, but to all the TNT participants you will definitely be in my thoughts that day! I will be thinking of each and everyone of you out there and wishing so much I could be there to cheer you on. I know you will all do great, GO TEAM!

I wish I had better news to give all of you. What I can tell you is that I won't give up and will continue fighting...

7 Comments:

  • At 11:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Erika -- I am one of the TNT folks fundraising and doing the Nike half marathon. I want you to know that I am thinking of you and praying for you. This is my first event, and I am so proud to be in a position to support the many strong people that are fighting the battle against cancer -- like you! Keep going!! God Bless!!
    --Jennifer Pospishek (jenposp@sbcglobal.net)

     
  • At 5:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Good Morning Erika:

    It's Janna here... I'm getting ready to send off the Nike team tonight, and I just can't get you out of my mind. I know that we toss the word "hero" around a lot in TNT, and it's true, there are really a lot of strong, incredible people involved. But in the true, literal sense of the word, you, Erika, are a hero... my hero. I looked it up so you'd know exactly what I was referring to:

    Hero: (noun) a) an illustrious warrior b) a person admired for their achievements and noble qualities c) one that shows great courage ... Erika Arredondo!

    Know that you are in our hearts and our prayers every single day. You are quite an inspiration! I just keep thinking about the way you attacked the Rock 'n Roll Marathon in June! Egads, girl!!! There's nothing you can't do!

    Much love and admiration,
    Janna

    walkcoachjc@earthlink.net

     
  • At 3:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Erika,
    I am AndreAnn on of the ladies on Adrienne's team. I just wanted to let you know that you have been in my thoughts and prayers daily since I joined the team. I have an extreme faith in God that He will take care of you NO MATTER WHAT. You are such an inspiration with your determination to continue the fight...Your power is amazing and contagious. Living one day at a time is something that definately works for me, and one hour at a time if it is really going tough. Keep on trudging the road to happy destiny. May God bless you and keep you until then.
    love, AndreAnn (aabroglia@yahoo.com)

     
  • At 8:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi, Erika,

    It's Leslie, your friend out in Chicago. You are in my thoughts and prayers daily. I admire your fight and am inspired to try my very best this coming Sunday at the Nike. We are all fighting for you! You are one of the kindest, sweetest people and we all love you!

     
  • At 12:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Erika,

    It's Roger, your "first" fellow Honoree, saying hi from Richmond, VA. Your strength and courage are truly amazing despite having to face more adversity than any one person should ever have to deal with. Take comfort in knowing that we all love you, have you in our thoughts & prayers, and continue to be inspired by your fighting spirit. Chris is amazing as well!

    Roger Fong

     
  • At 8:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hello Erika,
    I thought about you a lot during the Nike race. I looked at your name a few times on my honoree bracelet throughout the race. We have not met, but I'm amazed at your strength, and also your committment to the Team. You even came all the way to SF to try and see us, even though you felt so ill. You are truly amazing! I want to let you know that you are in my prayers. My brother passed away 3 years ago, and I sometimes pray to him and ask for special things. I've asked him to be near you, watch over you, and be a guardian angel around you. Thank you for being an honoree, and such a hero for our team.
    Sincerely, Danielle Cleveland

     
  • At 9:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Erika,

    This is Kaisa from Siebel. I just want to let you know that we are all thinking of you and keeping you in our prayers. Alice, Shannon and myself participated in the Nike 1/2 marathon on Sunday and it was such an amazing experience. We were thinking of you the whole time. We are inspired by your determination and your strength and have commited to making this an annual priority for us and to encourage our co-workers to join us in the coming years. Thank you Erika.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home