Snoopy's Updates

Erika's four-year ongoing battle with non-Hodgkin's and Hodgkin's Lymphoma after an autologous BMT and non-myeloblative allogeneic BMT.

Saturday, August 21, 2004

Erika's Treatment Update -- Week 10

Hi!

My apologies for taking so long to update this blog, I have received numerous emails/phone calls concerned about my condition since I went back into the hospital. Well I'm no longer there, I was discharged Wednesday, phew... My fevers finally went away on their own after my WBC started to come up, although for a few days I thought I would never get out. I'm still dealing with some other issues, but I guess the doctor's aren't very concerned. I got an allergic reaction to one of the antibiotics they were giving me and it just caused a nasty rash all over my body. It has gotten better, but it's still visible and it looks like I laid out in the sun for 24hrs w/out sunscreen. I also gained 20lbs (water weight) in the few days I was there from the hydration, being in bed, and that nasty cyclosporine. This has been the most difficult part, because I'm not able to move much and need assistance with everything from getting up, walking, etc. It's very uncomfortable and VERY unattractive. I even have to sleep sitting up (because my lungs were starting to get some fluid in them) and I have to keep my legs elevated. The trip to Stanford today was definitely an interesting one considering I can't stand up for more than 15secs. Fortunately, they're giving me all sorts of diuretics to try and help get the water out, but they're working very slow. I have never wanted to pee endlessly so much. Lucky for me, they're giving me tomorrow off (probably cause it's so hard for me to get there), but I will be back Sunday morning. The good news is that my counts are steadily climbing (WBC 2.6, HCT 35.1, PLTS 252) which is a pretty good indication that I'm engrafting! This is usually about the time transplant patients start engrafting so that is a great sign. Of course with this engrafment process comes some not so pleasant times like I've experienced the last week. The only other exciting thing I can think of is my diet is getting stricter by the day (not that I have an appetite)...low microbial, no dairy, and now they have added as much protein as possible. I guess the protein helps with pulling in some of the water retention and trying to get it out. My meal today: canned tuna for lunch, hard boiled egg for dinner...how exciting? I'm so craving an In N Out Burger or even better yet.....SUSHI! I swear I can taste the unagi & hamachi in my mouth without actually eating it cause I've been thinking about it so much. Not sure what the next week will bring, one day I'm fine and the next day I'm in the hospital so it's just a day by day situation. Thank god the Olympics are on to keep me occupied :)

Well all, hope you're doing well, you're always in my thoughts, especially through the difficult times!

Love always,
Erika

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home