Snoopy's Updates

Erika's four-year ongoing battle with non-Hodgkin's and Hodgkin's Lymphoma after an autologous BMT and non-myeloblative allogeneic BMT.

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Fevers & Zometa

I seem to have started a trend of making it through the work weeks feeling fine and then feeling awful on the weekends. This past Sunday I woke up with a fever that progressed throughout the day (I pretty much slept the whole day) and got really bad night. It was one of the worst fevers I've had in a while. Monday morning I was still feeling pretty awful and I also had nausea from what I believe is the chemo. It appears that as I have more treatments of Procarbazine the nausea seems to linger on for longer. Regardless I somehow made it through the entire day at work. Tuesday day I felt better, but by night I was back to having fevers again. I'm not sure even the prednisone is controlling the fevers like it used to since I'm getting them all the time now. I know if I mention to my doctor how often I'm having them they will insist that I have my Hickman removed so for now I'm staying quiet.

Today I went in to have labs drawn and to get my first infusion of Zometa. Zometa is a bone rebuilding drug that is usually used in cancer patients who have disease that has metastasized to the bone or that have bone cancer. It's also used in people like me who have early stages of osteopenia to help keep the bones from getting weaker and rebuild bone also. The infusion is given once a month and takes approximately 20 minutes. The main side effect is bone/muscle pain the next day, similar to what I experience when I get Neupogen. My counts were stable so I was given the okay to continue on my second week of chemo. I'll be back in a few weeks to get labs drawn again and meet with my oncologist.

This weekend Chris and I are going to LA to visit friends and get away. We don't have any big plans, mostly just relax and not think of work and the house! We're really looking forward to it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home