Snoopy's Updates

Erika's four-year ongoing battle with non-Hodgkin's and Hodgkin's Lymphoma after an autologous BMT and non-myeloblative allogeneic BMT.

Saturday, November 12, 2005

Fungal Infection?

First of all I want to thank all of you who left the VERY nice comments on my last entry. When I saw that I had seven comments I for sure thought it was an error on the page. I've considered a couple of times discontinuing my blog, because I wasn't sure if people were actually reading it or interested, but when I see things like that it reassures me that I should keep writing :)

So today was my first day trying out the food from the children's menu...peanut butter & jelly for lunch and chicken nuggets w/tater tots for dinner...I felt like I was in elementary school again! Tomorrow it will be cheese pizza for lunch and spaghettios for dinner :P I swear I'm re-living my childhood!

Okay now to the more serious stuff...I had my CT scan done this morning and they actually found something. Both of my lungs have some spots, which they think could possibly be a fungal infection. I had a fungal infection in my lungs after my first transplant and had been on medication for it indefinitely, but my doctor had taken me off of it recently, because it's very hard on your liver. The infectious disease doctor's believe that when I broke out with shingles it compromised my immune system enough to make me susceptible to a fungal infection. We definitely know it hasn't been there very long, because the PET/CT that I had done about a month ago was clear in those areas. So now I'm on two anti-fungal medications via IV along with the antibiotics. I also had a blood test done today to see if they can determine whether the fungal infection could be aspergillis and I'm supposed to have two tests done where they'll take a sample of some stuff inside my lungs (similar to a broncoscopy). The earliest I'll get to go home is sometime early next week if all goes well. Basically they're going to monitor me, see how I react to the medication, and make sure that it indeed is a fungal infection before sending me home. I'm still not sure how this infection will affect my chemo regimen, I'm hoping that I won't have to wait for it to completely clear up before I can have chemo again. Fungal infections can be difficult to treat at times and can take months to complete clear up.

Oh a favor for all of you...next time you're at your local Starbuck's, can you check and see if they have a green tea latte on their menu as a "special?" I had one in a Starbuck's up in the city the weekend of the Nike marathon and have not been able to find another Starbuck's that has them yet. Apparently it's a new menu item that they're testing in certain locations before introducing it to all their stores. Of course I fell in love with it and now can't get it! If you happen to see it, please send me an email and/or comment...thank you!

10 Comments:

  • At 1:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Erica,

    I hope that the doctors have found the problem and that you'll be out of the hospital soon. I will definitely look for the green tea latte at Starbucks for you!

    Talk to you soon,
    -Sharrone

     
  • At 3:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I read every entry; just never commented until now... keep the blog going... we are all pulling for you and hope to see you next time you come down. Christmas picture coming soon...

     
  • At 7:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Erika
    We read every entry and think of you all the time. Please keep posting. Keep the spirits up and get home soon - we'll go looking for green tea latte together. Love from the johnson family

     
  • At 1:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Erika, I read your blog all the time and keep our mentor group informed. We're thinking about you all the time. Take care! Martha

     
  • At 7:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Erika! I LOVE reading your postings. I have the site bookmarked and check it everyday for updates!!! I'll check the Starbucks near my house and get back to you on the green tea latte.

    Love, Jessie

     
  • At 10:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    erica - i really like reading your blog daily, so please continue! the green tea latte is great - i tried it at a taiwan starbucks a while back.

     
  • At 11:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Erica

    DON'T stop blogging. I also have your site bookmarked. After I check your site I use your link for Adrienne Boardman's site, and read her's as well.
    Being so far away, it is the only way that I'm able to find out what is going on with you guys.

    You're in my prayers.
    Take care,
    Chri
    TNT walk team alumni

     
  • At 2:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Erika,

    I found the Starbucks in San Francisco that is serving the Green Tea Lattes. Basically, it's a promotional thing that they're testing out at some San Francisco locations. I'm going to keep trying to see if we can get Starbucks here locally to make it here... I'll keep you posted...

    -Sharrone

     
  • At 2:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Erika,
    I am thinking of you and hoping that fungal infection gets knocked out QUICKLY. I found the green tea latte - it is a test drink in San Francisco but the Starbucks at Sequoia Station in Redwood City says they are testing it also. Not quite as far to go as San Francisco....
    -Merry

     
  • At 4:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You are a real inspiration to my brother. You have changed his life! I never thought he would run a marathon, let alone two marathons in one month. I am glad you are eatting off the kids menu. They are always better! Keep posting and I will check Starbucks next time. Get home soon!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home