Snoopy's Updates

Erika's four-year ongoing battle with non-Hodgkin's and Hodgkin's Lymphoma after an autologous BMT and non-myeloblative allogeneic BMT.

Friday, August 05, 2005

Erika's Treatment Update -- Week 59

Chris and I have fully recovered from the 1/2 marathon we did this past Sunday. My back has actually not been bothering me as much as I would have expected considering the excrutiating pain I was in during the event. I've been going to see a sports massage therapist all week, as well as doing some core strenghtening exercises, icing, and resting. I'm going to suggest being referred to a physical therapist when I see my oncologist next Wednesday so that we can speed up the healing process. I don't want to delay training for the Nike marathon coming up in October.

The last few days I've been feeling extremely exhausted. Instead of my usual going to bed at 1am and being awake from 3-6am, I've been taking several naps a day and falling asleep by 11pm. I started another round of prednisone tapering on Monday (20mg one day, 10mg the next, etc...) so I have a feeling that could be contributing to the exhaustion. I had a low grade fever this morning (I haven't had a fever not related to chemo in a long time), which I'm hoping is also being caused by the tapering. I've also been getting a lot of "hot flashes" during the day and minor night sweats at night which tends to happen when I taper (due to the hormonal changes). I'm hoping these symptoms subside, if not, I may have to stay on a 20mg dose indefinitely.

I'll be back at Stanford this coming Wednesday for my 10th round of Velban.

1 Comments:

  • At 2:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hi erika, its wednesday, and i sure hope your treatment is going well today. i am a new TNT kid, never did a half marathon in my life....very nervous about it. but then i read that you just did a marathon...this is amazing and encouraging for me....
    i need to learn more about the sf marathon and how hard it is....were there lots of hills? though i love walking, i am quite slow at on the inclines!...but, more than anything i just wanted to let you know that i am pulling for you.
    i got involved because i have been touched by many friends and family with cancer...so i want to do something to make a difference....even though i feel like a wimp so far....i hope to meet you soon...blessings, cindi

    ps. is snoopy your nickname? does it have a special meaning?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home