Snoopy's Updates

Erika's four-year ongoing battle with non-Hodgkin's and Hodgkin's Lymphoma after an autologous BMT and non-myeloblative allogeneic BMT.

Thursday, July 28, 2005

Erika's Treatment Update -- Week 58

Today was as usual a long day at Stanford. I had my labs drawn (all my counts looked good), met with my oncologist and BMT doctor, and had chemo. Chemo got delayed for a while because my medical chart went missing. They never did find it, apparently they will have to get copies of all my history from medical records. I'm not quite sure how a 5 lb folder could go missing, I swear I have one of the thickest patient files there!

My oncologist and I discussed in more detail the results of my MRI's. Apparently the only thing I can really do at this point is take anti-inflammatory drugs, ice the area, and try to take it easy until my back starts to feel better. She also recommended that I stay away from chiropractic treatment and try sport massages instead to alleviate some of the muscle pain/soreness. I did get the okay to do the SF 1/2 marathon this Sunday...hurray! I am a little concerned since Chris and I weren't able to do any training last week and there's a time limit of 3 1/2 hours, which means we have to maintain an average speed of 15 minute/miles. I guess we will just do the best we can considering the circumstances.

I also received the results of the CT scan that I had done on Tuesday. My oncologist was pleased with the results...my liver mass has shrunk by half and it's difficult to tell whether the chest/lung masses have remained unchanged or have shrunk a little bit. The good thing is I appear to be responding to the chemo for now.

Chris and I have officially registered to train with TNT in the fall. We will be training for the SF Nike marathon. We're not sure yet if we want to do the half or full, I think we're going to see how the training goes and how my back does throughout the season.

This weekend is full of activities for us. We have TNT kick-off on Saturday morning, followed by the Stanford Bone Marrow Transplant reunion (which I wasn't able to attend last year due to my relapse), the SF 1/2 marathon expo to pick up our bibs/race packets, and then the 1/2 marathon on Sunday morning. We also want to squeeze in the Gilroy Garlic Festival, but we're not sure that will happen. I've heard the traffic, parking, and heat are terrible so I'm not sure it will be worth it to go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home